Sunday, August 24, 2014

Moments

Our lives are made up of many mundane and seemingly insignificant actions. Over and over, we repeat most of these actions with little to no consequence, and very little memory that each such action occurred, as day after day blurs into the next.

When we look back through our memories, we may remember the routines and the rituals that were followed day in and day out, but our mind latches onto small pieces, significant moments that define who we are, where we have been, and where we are going.

A moment is defined as a minute portion of time, or a comparatively brief portion of time. However brief and fleeting, these moments in our lives can be so powerful that when we scan through our memories, it is often these bookmarks, that tell the unfolding story of our lives.

Stop and think. What are the moments in my life that have shaped who I am? Scan through and tell me what you see?

 I see myself on my wedding day--the moment I knelt across the alter from my husband. I see the moment I stood in a cold sterile hospital room and knew my father was no longer in that body lying on the table. I see that glorious moment when my eyes met the gaze of each of my precious children for the first time. I see and feel the heart wrenching pain I felt each time my phone rang to share the news that another precious loved one had passed on from this life. Each of these moments holds a place in my heart and my memory that will always be with me.

Tonight however, I was lying in bed as my mind began to quickly wander, flashing through memories, moments, unexpected moments that have unexpectedly changed my life. Moments when my character was defined. Moments when I had perfect clarity for only a few seconds. Moments that have etched a place in my heart, however small and insignificant it seemed at the time. As I let my mind wander, I would like to share with you a few of the moments where my mind stopped to reflect.

I remembered a moment stepping on the school bus for the last time, on my last day of 6th grade--My parents behind me crying and filming the end of a special chapter in their lives. I remember standing alone, looking down the long empty gate at the airport where my mother had just left me to fly home to the other side of the country. I remember standing on the grass in front of the capitol building, looking back as the sunset that last night I spent in Washington D.C. I remember the patronizing look on Colonel Mustard's face after I told him I would be going home to Mom because we had gotten in our first fight! I remember hanging up the phone after receiving the news that our daughter was allergic to everything but rice and vegetables. I remember my three older children hugging me and crying when they realized the doctor had just given the order that we would not be spending Christmas together. I remember Colonel Mustard stopping the moving van as he saw Andrew's friend riding down the hill on his bike for one last goodbye.

These are just a few of the bookmarks that my memory paused on tonight. There are many others. As I stopped the flow of memories in my mind, I was deeply impressed that these memories were experiences for my benefit. A gift of faith building, testimony strengthening experiences from a loving Heavenly Father. A bookmark that I can open to, and relive each moment as the need arises for me to garner strength to face today's new trials. A gift I am most thankful for.

Take a moment, to find those moments in your life. You will be grateful you did.

No comments: