Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Moving Van

As I pulled in to my neighborhood today, I saw something I knew was coming. A moving van. No, not mine, but our neighbor's moving van. It is of little consequence to me, but seemed to hit me like a ton of bricks.

Why... you ask? Because they are moving... and they are moving to Colorado.

Some of you may know that Byron and I have always said someday we'll make it to Colorado-- buy some land, have some animals, a motocross track, and settle down....for good. But it just doesn't seem to be in the cards for us.

A few years back I said I didn't really care anymore-- it didn't matter where we lived or settled down. Truthfully--it doesn't. But when I heard the news, I must have turned green with envy as I felt a dream had been ripped out of my heart, and haphazardly handed to someone else.

Maybe it's just that awful impending Birthday, but is seems lately as if many of those unfulfilled dreams have come to slap me in the face. So many things I've dreamed, that never came to pass. I'm reminded immediately of the lyrics of a Kenny Chesney song.
"...It'd be easy to add up all the pain
And all the dreams you sat and watch go up in flames.
Dwell on the wreckage as it smolders in the rain.
But not me... I'm alive."

So instead of watching that moving van pull away with yet another dream, I'm going to be grateful that I'm alive and well. And I think I'll take a moment to myself, to ponder all the wonderful gifts I've been given that I never even dreamed of.

No comments: