Saturday, May 14, 2011

Sarah Bertagnole

As I looked at the news this morning to distract myself from the thoughts in my head, I fully expected to see a headline reading that Sarah had passed away. For those of you that know her, you understand why I would expect the whole world to know. For those of you that don't, let me share.

My sister-in-law Sarah has more friends than anyone I've ever met. She always has a smile on her face and her personality is infectious. Everyone knows Sarah. And everyone loves Sarah.

I will never forget my first encounter with her. She came to visit after becoming engaged to my brother. I was a little kid and I had made it known that I was not happy that he was leaving us so soon after completing his mission. I was dreading the meeting, but when she arrived, she acted as if she had been my best friend forever. She hugged me and said how excited she was to meet me and then...she brought out the most beautiful dress I'd ever seen for me to wear to their wedding. I was sold--and have been ever since.

Many years later, Sarah, the matchmaker, hooked me up on a date. Now, she may have gotten her wires a little crossed in the beginning--and it took a few years to get them straightened out, but her matchmaking eventually worked when Byron and I became engaged. She was so excited! I have always felt indebted to her for my wonderful husband, as I never would have known him if not for her.

I could share a hundred more stories of Sarah and no one would ever tire of hearing them. She is just one of those special rare personalities. She leaves her family with a legacy of love and an ever optimistic outlook that will carry them through her loss. I can't help but smile just saying her name.

Last night, heaven welcomed a celebrity, because I'm certain everyone knows her and they were eagerly awaiting her arrival. And while her presence here will be sorely missed, I know we will one day be reunited with her again. Til we meet again-- I love you and will miss you dearly Sarah.

3 comments:

AMiller said...

My heart goes out to her family. I don't know what to say, but I pray for peace for everyone she left behind.

Today Is My Day said...

You are so right on about Sarah. She will be missed by many here in Enumclaw, Wa where she left such an impression. Thank you for your words...her name puts a smile on my face as well.

Missy said...

I think you are right. You can tell hundreds of stories about Sarah and it will barley touch on how amazing she is. I think the best way to describe Sarah is Joy. She brought joy to others and others just felt joy to be around her.
Are you coming our for the funeral?