Sunday, November 30, 2014

Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade

We decided to take advantage of our new home base and visit New York for the Macy's Thanksgiving day parade. I looked forward to watching it every year on Thanksgiving morning when I was a kid, so needless to say, it was a bucket list item that was too close not to do.

Since we are only 2 hours from NYC we were able to drive up the night before and come home Thanksgiving night so Colonel Mustard could be back at work on Friday.

So....things to know about the Macy's Parade.

1. It is VERY cold standing on the streets of New York for 6 hours the end of November.
2.There are a LOT of people going to see the parade. New Yorkers are generally very rude, but some of the visitors were fun to talk to.
3. While it was exciting to attend the parade in person, it is not nearly as grand as it always seemed  on T.V.
4. The balloons are really cool, but again, not nearly as big as they seemed on T.V.
5. I am so glad we took the kids but it was definitely a "once in a lifetime" kind of thing--I don't know that I'd brave it again having been there and done that.

We took way too many pictures so I won't share them all, but here is your sidewalk view of the parade.



























And dinner was spent at a nasty Cracker Barrel on the way home!

Happy belated Thanksgiving.

After dragging 5 kids through the streets of New York City, I am keenly aware of how close we came to having to move to this city. And I'm very grateful we didn't have to. So this year for Thanksgiving, I'm grateful for our new home in Delaware. It may not be everything we dreamed of, but it sure beats living in NYC with 5 kids!

No comments: