Thursday, July 7, 2011

The Fourth

I'm getting a little behind here, but I'll share a few pictures of our 4th of July Weekend. We headed up to Mammoth Cave in Kentucky and then spent the rest of the weekend in Nashville.

Mammoth Cave was awesome! I highly recommend it. And frankly, after that, everything was kind of a let down. I guess I'm just not much of a city tourist. I'd rather see the wonders of nature than the wonders of man--hence why New York has never really appealed to me and I think it's just a hole to visit.

Now that I've shared my narrow minded view of a city I've only been to once, I'll get back to the subject-- or better yet, the pictures.

Main entrance to Mammoth Cave. 54 degrees and freezing when it was 95 outside.
 inside the cave
The other end of the cave- very narrow steep stairway we walked down for about 20-30 minutes.
Awesome cave formations near Frozen Niagra- I couldn't get a very good picture of the Frozen Niagra though- it was very beautiful.

The kids outside the Grand Old Opry.

 I would love to see a concert there, but I wasn't about to pay $18 a person to go inside and have my kids begging me to leave.

The quaint little town of Franklin, TN on the 4th of July.

Window shopping in Franklin.

 Old dilapidated cemetery. I love cemeteries--especially in the east. This is the grave of the unknown civil war soldier. They also had a confederate cemetery there and 4 graves belonging to Revolutionary War soldiers.

 Tired kiddos.


Fireworks in Nashville. I need a real camera. Props to the City of Nashville for their awesome display-- one of the best I've seen, but their planning and execution of the event could have used some serious improvement. Their restroom planning was less than effective, and I inadvertently created a new bathroom by taking the kids' behind the gas station dumpster. (we became desperate at that point) I should have taken a picture of the line that formed as soon as I walked out from behind the fence-Gross!

No comments: