Friday, December 23, 2011

Resolution

 

I know it's not January yet, and I hate New Year's resolutions anyway, but I needed to record for myself that I really made one and kept it! Actually I wouldn't really even call it a resolution, but rather a goal I made for myself at the beginning of the year.

Last January, I made a goal to read the entire standard works in one year, and I'm very proud to say that yesterday I finished! I feel a little guilty admitting it was only my second time that I've read the Bible in it's entirety, but now at least I can say I've read it through twice. I thought I'd record for myself Ten things I learned.

1) It is nearly impossible to feel the spirit of the scriptures if your kids are in the room. You will get a lot more out of it if they are asleep when you read  (or otherwise engaged in an activity in another part of the house).

2) The Old Testament is still as boring (for the most part) as I remember it. However, there is some very solid history of the foundation of the world and it really helps you to understand why so many in the world are as screwed up as they are!

3) If you can get past (and stay awake) the middle of the Old Testament, the end offers some of the most beautiful poetry ever written. (and it is very well appreciated at that point)

4) The New Testament, while obviously boasting the most important history of Christ's life, is surprisingly dry after John, and didn't capture me as well as I had hoped.

5) Revelation and Isaiah still make no sense to me (guess that means I need to keep reading)

6) The Doctrine and Covenants is a unique historical record. While not as eloquently written as some, there is a lot of important doctrine to be had.

7) It took me until the very end of the Doctrine and Covenants to feel the spirit of the book and the witness I had been seeking since the first section.

8) The Book of Mormon-- I saved the best for last. Wow--is all I can say! If you thought you appreciated the Book of Mormon, try taking many months of reading other scripture and then coming back to the Book of Mormon. I was so excited to finally get back to it. The spirit is overwhelming when you simply open the book. There is no other book like it.

10) I could pick out a few chapters in 2 Nephi, Alma, 3rd Nephi and Ether and give a more pure and concise explanation of the gospel than all other scripture combined. Amazing book--and by far the most captivating story as well.

10) I really want to do this again next year and see what I learn that is different. (Though I must admit I am a little sad thinking about 9 months before I get back to the Book of Mormon) 


If anyone is looking for a worthwhile New Year's goal this next year, I can promise you will not be sorry for trying this one. ( and remember, these are just my opinions--try it yourself and let me know what you learn.)

No comments: