Monday, July 19, 2010

Germany

Beer and Brats! That's what we should have had for dinner last night. But no, I felt the need to try something different. After all, we weren't really going to feed our kids beer, and brats, although very authentic, are already mainstream U.S. fare.

So here's what happened to my poor kitchen.
 

One thing has become certain in our World cuisine adventure-- I really can't cook, but I can make a really BIG mess in attempting to do so.

We had Spaetzle and Schnitzel.  (Say that 10 times fast) I really wanted to make both of those just so I could keep saying it over and over again. Spaetzle Schnitzel Spaetzle Schnitzel Spaetzle Schnitzel. See.....wasn't that fun?!

To be honest they are both a little on the bland side for me, but Andrew and Ethan made pigs of themselves.


And for dessert we had?? Can you Guess? No, not German chocolate cake (it's not German at all). We had Black Forest cake--which is very German, but we had to Americanize it a little. Traditional Black Forest Cake is a dark chocolate cake with maraschino cherries, doused in alcohol. While I may have needed that after my Spaetzle cooking debacle, I just couldn't justify nasty cake and drunk children. 


And besides, there wasn't enough fat in dinner-- we needed loads of real whipped cream to top it off.

Next week Brazil!

4 comments:

Bobbi said...

That cake looks delicious! I love that you are doing this, you have some lucky kiddos! This is right up my alley of doing someday:)

Sondra said...

hooray for spaetzle! You just can't make it without a mess. That's why I always hope the kids won't request it for their birthday dinner but they always do. Maybe a German Restaurant is the answer!

The Tryon Family said...

Wow! So neat! Looks super yummy, too. I don't know what you're talking about that you can't cook... you're crazy!! Can't wait to see what's next!

Brian S. said...

Great blog and a wonderful family.